Sygrou Park is located on Kifissias Avenue at the border of the municipalities of Kifissia, Maroussi and Melissia. It is an area of approximately 950 acres, in most part covered with pines. It is the only remaining natural forest in the entire Attica. It has natural springs and lush vegetation, which still dominates today the Mediterranean pinewood.
The Story of Sygrou Park
British archaeologist Stin seems to be the first owner of the estate, who intended to carry out in this archaeological excavation. Once he completed the excavations, he sold the estate to his compatriot, also archaeologist Will, from whom it was bought by Andreas Sygros, around 1875. In 1921 under the will of Iphigenia’s Sygrou (widow of Andreas Sygros) the homonymous Estate is inherited by the Greek Agricultural Company (now Institute of Agricultural Sciences) in order to be established a gardening school, poultry farming, beekeeping, sericulture and stock farming with the mission of educating good farmers and gardeners. The whole park is a public treasure, the headquarters of a historic institution of modern and contemporary Greek agriculture.
The Institute of the Agricultural Sciences is the legal manager of Sygrou Estate. In the surrounding buildings of the A. Sygro’s estate the Institute’s facilities are housed.
Things to do and see
Running, Cycling, Walking : Dense vegetation, quiet streets, ideal place for running, walking or even biking offering varying levels of difficulty. The circular route is about 4 km and it is considered to be a difficult route. The park is ideal of uphill workouts, since one can find almost all combinations of slope and distance.
Have a pic nic in the park under the pines. Visit the chapel of St. Andrew, which is the only Gothic Orthodox church in Greece and which was built based on the plans of German architect Ernst Ziller.
The Sygrou Park is open from sunrise to sunset and the entrance is free.
words & photos by Giannis Efremidis